What is a World of Gardens?
Our World with Gardens course is part of our Step by Step Horticulture Program. This course, to be run at the West Moonah Community House in Moonah, is made up of three skill sets. The first skill set will help you develop the skills needed to grow plants, plant garden beds and prune a range of small trees and plants. We also explore how to work safely.
What will a World with Gardens teach?
The course will teach
- Being safe in the workplace and garden and looking after yourself and others.
- How to propagate a range of plants and use the right materials and tools for propagation.
- Skills in how to prepare plant displays (such as garden beds, or landscape garden areas), how to choose and install the right plants and how to look after them.
- Basic skills in how to prune a range of trees and plants properly including knowing when to prune and what to prune and some pruning techniques.
When will it run?
9am – 2:30pm. Every Thursday starting the 3rd of September 2020. The course will run for approximately 14 weeks.
How much does it cost?
The course is FREE to residents of the Moonah and close surrounds areas. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Who to contact?
About the units
The units in these skill sets have been taken from the Certificate II in Horticulture (AHC20416) qualification. This qualification is for those people looking to work as horticultural assistants or one day become qualified horticulturalists. These skill sets will help you develop basic skills and knowledge to prepare for work.
What units are included in the course?
There are 4 units in the first skill set. If you successfully complete these assessments, you will receive a statement of attainment for the following units:
- AHCNSY203 – Undertake propagation activities
- AHCPGD202 – Prepare and maintain plant displays
- AHCPGD203 – Prune shrubs and small trees
- AHCWHS201 – Participate in work health and safety processes
You can click on the unit code and name to find out more about the unit on the government website
Who is it suited for?
This course is perfect for those people who want to learn more about basic aspects of nursery and garden horticulture in a relaxed and friendly environment. Please apply if you
- Want to commence a career in a horticultural or a specialty horticultural industry.
- Want to start a horticulturally based business.
- You work in the horticulture industry but do not have formal qualifications
- Would like more experience in working in the horticulture industry
You must either enjoy or think you may enjoy horticulture / gardening / outdoor work to get the most out of this course. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the course.
Time and Commitment
The time commitment for this course will vary from student to student depending on the amount of knowledge and skill they bring to the course. All students are required to attend the weekly class. We encourage you to do as much practical work outside of class hours as possible. This will help consolidate what you are learning in class. In some cases, you may need to set aside time for reading some suggested resources or the class notes. This course is not designed to be difficult or complex so we don’t think that you will need a lot of extra time.
Your enrolment application
This online form is your enrolment application. By completing this online form, you are REQUESTING enrolment into one of our courses. Enrolment is not guaranteed and may be subject to an interview or to other pre-requisites. GlobalNet Academy reserves the right, in our absolute discretion, to refuse entry to any of our courses on any grounds. Enrolment into your chosen course is generally by application AND interview. Unless we believe that there are some very obvious reasons why you should not be part of the course, you will generally be successful UNLESS the course is over‐subscribed. If this is the case, we will choose the best applicants. If you are successful, your enrolment application will become the basis of your enrolment.
Why we ask so many questions
We need to ask a number of different questions for our reporting obligations to State and National Regulatory bodies. We trust that the form will be straight forward and easy to complete. We appreciate your patience in completing it.
You will need a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
In order to complete this form, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier. A Unique Student Identifier (or USI) is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, even from different training organisations
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
Your can read more about what a Unique Student Identifer is here: https://www.usi.gov.au/about. If you do not have a USI, you will need to register online with the government to obtain one. The process is free, confidential and quick. You can create a USI here: https://www.usi.gov.au/students.
Do I have to answer all the questions?
Many of the question fields are mandatory and you will be required to enter information into these fields. You can tell if a questions is mandatory if it has an asterix (*) next to it. We treat your information confidentially so any information that you provide to us will NEVER be divulged to third parties unless we have your permission to do so OR we are required by law to do so. If you have a mobile phone number, we ask that you provide this as well. We often contact students by email AND by text message so having your mobile phone number allows us to contact you quickly and easily.
How to use the online form
Our online enrolment form is linked to our student management system. This means that once you have completed the form and pressed “register” it may take up to 60 seconds to “talk” to our student system and register you. If you experience any issues completing the form, please email us at email@example.com to request help. We will be very happy to help. In your email, please provide your best contact phone number as well. Please work through the form methodically as many of the questions are mandatory. Just a reminder that you will need your USI in order to complete the form.
Starting your enrolment application
To enrol, you need to choose the course that you are enrolling in AND THEN the course instance (the class). Please follow these steps:
- Please choose CERTIFICATE II IN HORTICULTURE under the courses section (just below)
- Give the system a minute or so to retrive the “courses instances” under the Certificate II in Horticulture
- Choose 20TWPP016 in the courses instances section (that’s the class)
Just a reminder, please give the class field a moment or two to refresh itself AFTER you have chosen the course as it is pulling this information back from our student management system.
How much time will you need to apply?
The enrolment process can take some time. Give yourself at least 5 to 10 minutes to complete the form. Don’t forget your USI: https://www.usi.gov.au/.