AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture - Apprenticeship
The AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture is the industry standard course for those that want to be horticulturists. The course will enhance your knowledge of plants, landscaping and botany. In this accredited training course, you will embark upon an in-depth plant study, from learning about topics such as plant identification, morphology and physiology, plant nutrition, soils and growing mediums, and specialist amenity pruning, to indoor plant management, container and nursery production, turf management, weeds, disease, pests and beyond.
Please indicate what topic areas (clusters) you would like to undertake as part of the course.
To qualify for the funding tied to this course, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You are currently working in a horticulture or gardening related industry.
- You are employed either part-time or full-time.
This course will be delivered as a combination of face to face training and on the job training.
This qualification starts upon your enrolment. We work with you and your employer to deliver the training you need as and when you need it.
It depends! The time required to do the course will vary from business to business and from unit cluster to unit cluster.
Because you are working in the industry, some unit clusters will not require much off the job time at all. We would hope that much of your assessments could be done on the job.
Where you are not so familiar with units or would like to attend off-the-job training, it is likely that you will need to be away from the job for a number of days. We would negotiate this with you so as to minimise you being away from your work.
For example, where we need to do face to face training, we might run training over a 1 or 2 day block and then come back and do more training a week or two later. We will try and work out a schedule that is going to as accommodating as possible for everyone.
This also depends on how much prior experience you bring to the course. However, we think that you could successfully complete the requirements of the course within 2 years after having commenced.
There is no single location as this will depend on where businesses are located. We have locations in both the north and south that will be “bases of operation” when we need to bring students together in one location for training.
We will charge eligible employers (employers who are eligible for user choice funding – see below) $1500 per participant for the course.
You will need to pay $500 upfront as our administration fee and then you can choose to pay the remainder over 12 months.
User Choice funding stream is the Apprenticeship and traineeship funding stream provided through Skills Tasmania.
There are conditions on accessing this funding stream. This page provides details on eligibility and what qualifications are covered. This qualification (AHC30716) is covered.
There are a number of subsidies currently available to employers who employee a qualifying trainee or apprentice. Whilst we cannot provide specific advice on what subsidies you may receive, the following are some that may apply to you. Further information regarding eligibility can be obtained from your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) Provider.
- $1250 Available where an employer commences a full-time or part-time new worker Australian Apprentice undertaking a Certificate II level qualification, where the Australian Apprentice is deemed to be part of a nominated equity group.
- $1500 Available where an employer commences a full-time or part-time new worker or existing worker Australian Apprentice undertaking a Certificate III or IV level qualification that leads to an occupation on the National Skills Needs List (including Australian School-based Apprenticeships).
Note that this information is subject to change without notice. The information detailed here was correct at the time of writing. Confirm with you AASN provider for up to date information.
In order to complete this qualification, you MUST complete 16 units of competence. This consists of 5 Core units (everyone must do these) and 11 elective units.
The five (5) core units (everyone must do these) for the AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture are:
- AHCWHS301 Contribute to work health and safety processes
- AHCPCM302 Provide information on plants and their culture
- AHCPMG301 Control weeds
- AHCPMG302 Control plant pests, diseases, and disorders
- AHCSOL303 Implement soil improvements for garden and turf areas
In addition to the five core units, you must complete 11 elective units. For this course, we have clustered 2 to 3 units together in topic areas. This helps focus the course on topic areas (clusters) so that participants can choose topics that are going to be of most relevance or interest to them.
You do not have to do all the clusters in order to complete the qualification. You only need to complete 11 elective units in addition to the 5 core units. Please complete our Expression of Interest form below to indicate the clusters you are most interested in.
At the moment, there is no guarantee that we will deliver all of these cluster. We have identified these as cluster we could possible train in depending on the demand for them.
- AHCCHM303 Prepare and apply chemicals
- AHCCHM304 Transport, handle and store chemicals
- AHCIRG331 Install pressurised irrigation systems
- AHCIRG332 Operate pressurised irrigation systems
- AHCIRG333 Maintain pressurised irrigation systems
- AHCLSC303 Construct brick and or block structures and features
- AHCLSC304 Erect timber structures and features
- AHCLSC306 Implement a paving project
Plant Displays cluster
- AHCNSY303 Install and maintain plant displays – Sector: Nursery (NSY)
- AHCPCM301 Implement a plant nutrition program – Sector: Plants and Culture
- AHCPGD302 Plan and maintain plant displays
- AHCTRF302 Establish turf
- AHCTRF303 Implement a grassed area maintenance program
- AHCTRF304 Monitor turf health
Yes. Each of the units in the workshops may include two or more of the following types of assessments:
- Short written answers to questions – question and answer style testing (can be completed online in your own time).
- Projects – group or individual, may be practical or research based.
- Assignments – research topic and provide a written response.
- Demonstration – you will be observed doing tasks.
- If required, other assessment methods may be used for students (eg verbal tests instead of short written tests).
- Testimonials from work placement supervisor.
- Photographic and other media evidence.
We will provide you with the information about the assessment at the commencement of the workshops.
Wherever possible, we will conduct assessments on the job, meaning at your workplace or onsite at a clients (if that is appropriate) so that you can demonstrate competency.
For example, if you were doing an irrigation subject, and had installed an irrigation system at a client’s, we would negotiate with you to see if we could come to the place where you had installed it so that you could show us through the work you have done.
You will be required to practice what you have learned in your workplace and to complete practical assessments. Many assessments can be done over time and we encourage students to use the assessments as practical tools in their workplace in order to develop their competence. You should negotiate with your employer about the time you may need to complete. assessments.
At a Glance
If you would like to register for the course, please click on the button below. You will be taken to a registration page on the NDS website.
- AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture
- A blend of on the job training and off the job training as required.
- $1500 for organisations receiving Apprenticeship and Traineeship funding. $500 upfront, the rest payable in instalments.
- Those already working in the horticulture industry wanting to formalise their skills.
- Part time or full-time employees working in a horticulture based business who want to be traineed in horticulture.
- You will be issued a full qualification certificate if you successfully complete the course.