May 2022 BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management
The Diploma of Leadership and Management is a widely focused course, suited to many different vocations, and is designed particularly for people wanting to upskill in a number of leadership and management areas. It is designed specifically for supervisors, middle managers and senior leaders that have responsibilities leading teams, contributing to policy, participating and managing operational plans, managing the performance of others and are involved in change management. To obtain the full Diploma of Leadership and Management, you need to complete 12 units of competence. Career Pathways There are a number of career pathways for graduates of this qualification. These could include (among others)
- Team leader
- Service Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Training Manager
- Senior Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Executive Management / CEO
You do not need any prior qualifications to enter this qualification. However, GlobalNet Academy will only accept students who meet the following requirements:
- Are currently employeed in a position of leadership.
- Will have the opportunity to have input into the development of workplace policies.
- Have (or will be given opportunities as part of this course) responsibilities to manage the performance and development of others in their workplace.
This qualification is typically delivered over the course of 12 months. There are up to 6 face to face workshops (5 plus one finalisation workshop) that all participants must attend. There may also be 6 catch up sessions (one for each workshop) that participants must attend if they are not caught up. Catch up sessions may be face to face or using Microsoft Teams. (You do not need a license for Microsoft Teams in order to participate.)
Workshops will start at 9:30 am and finish at 4:00pm.
Subject to Government funding availability, the cost of the course to the employer is $1080 in total. Employers can opt to pay $90 per month per participant for 12 months.
There is no limit to the number of places. GlobalNet Academy will run workshops periodically throughout the year. Note that there may be a delay between when a participant enrols and when the next set of workshops commence.
There are no entry requirements to the course, except to qualify as detailed in our Qualifying for this course section.
About the qualification
There are 12 units of competence that must be completed in order to obtain the BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management Qualification. The qualification requires you to complete 6 core units:
- BSBCMM511 Communicate with influence
- BSBCRT511 Develop critical thinking in others
- BSBLDR523 Lead and manage effective workplace relationships
- BSBOPS502 Manage business operational plans
- BSBPEF502 Develop and use emotional intelligence
- BSBTWK502 Manage team effectiveness
And 6 elective units. As a small Tasmanian owned and operated Registered Training Organisation, we are unable to offer a choice of electives. Instead, we have focused on putting together a qualification that will allow maximum transferability across a range of industries. Along with the core units, we have included the 6 elective units in the 5 workshops below.
We have sequenced the workshops in a particular order. Our belief is thatbefore we can make a change to others or even our organisation as a whole, we must first be willing to change and adapt ourselves.
Thus, the first workshop starts with building our own capabilities. Workshops then move from building our own capabilities to building the capabilities of others and building organisational systems and processes to support the capabilities of individuals and teams. Thus, each workshop builds upon the learning of the previous one.
Workshop 1: Leading Intelligently
Learn how to understand and appreciate your own emotions and the emotional triggers of others in the workplace and to develop the emotional intelligence of others in your team.
We will teach you techniques that help you be more flexible in your interactions with others and to develop strategies to respond to the emotions of others. This will include developing and implementing plans to further develop yourself as well as helping and managing the development of some of those in your team.
- Learn how to better manage your own emotions and triggers and how these impact on others.
- Learn how to apply emotional intelligence principles in your workplace and to better respond to challenging emotions in others.
- Learn how to identify and facilitate your own professional development and the professional development of team members.
- Learn how to better set goals and KPIs for both yourself and your team.
Underpinning Units of Competency
- BSBPEF502 – Develop and use emotional intelligence (core)
- BSBPEF501 – Manage personal and professional development (elective)
Workshop 2: Influential Communication
Communicating with others, helping others think critically, holding meetings and making presentations can be daunting. This workshop will help you with your communication.We will explore techniques to help you better manage meetings, negotiate with others, present important information in formal and informal settings, help others to reflect on information, engage in conversation and think critically about ways to improve themselves and the workplace.
- Learn how to listen better and adapt your communication to the needs of others.
- Learn how to prepare for and make presentations and meetings.
- Learn top tips on making meetings as effective and efficient as possible.
- Learn how to facilitate learning opportunities for others and develop their critical thinking skills.
- Learn how to take and answer questions from audiences.
Underpinning Units of Competency
- BSBCMM511 – Communicate with influence (core)
- BSBTWK503 – Manage meetings (elective)
- BSBCRT511 – Develop critical thinking in others (core)
Workshop 3: Leading Teams
Leading a team can be challenging. Team members all need to be working cohesively and heading in the same direction. Learn how to build a positive working environment and culture, implement policies and strategies that foster inclusivity and help facilitate and support effective workplace relationships. Apply effective communication and feedback techniques to better support your team to achieve business goals and objectives, understand organisational values and increase the productivity, effectiveness and well-being of your team.
- Learn how to help your team better understand their role and responsibilities and support them to achieve objectives.
- Learn how to communicate more effectively with your team about performance requirements.
- Learn techniques to better provide feedback to others, and to encourage, value and reward them.
- Learn how to better overcome challenges and difficulties that workplace relationships can bring.
Underpinning Units of Competency
- BSBTWK502 – Manage team effectiveness (core)
- BSBLDR523 – Lead and manage effective workplace relationships (core)
Workshop 4: Team Accountabilities
This workshop will help you develop your skills in managing the performance of individuals in your team and your team as a whole. Managing the performance of others can sometimes be challenging so we will also help you understand and apply techniques to hold difficult conversations when these become necessary, including how to manage your reactions and the reactions of others in a respectful, tactful and empathic manner. You will also learn how to develop work plans, allocate work, create and manage accountabilities, evaluate performance against these accountabilities, provide support and regular feedback to reinforce excellence.
- Learn how to manage the performance of others.
- Learn to allocate work and tasks effectively.
- Learn how to set KPIs, manage acccountabilities, reinforce excellence and support others.
- Learn how to give good feedback.
- Learn how to approach and manage difficult conversations with respect, empathy and tact.
- Learn how to adapt your communication to suit your audience and context.
Underpinning Units of Competency
Workshop 5: Successfully Planning
Operational plans form the foundation of most of what we do in the workplace. This workshop focuses on helping you understand the importance of operational plans and implementing them effectively. We will review operational planning in the context of continuous improvment and budgeting. Learn how to report on budget progress, plan and manage budget risk and contingencies and coach and mentor team members to identify opportunities to systematically improve workplace processes.
- Learn how to manage worplace operational plans, including identify resource requirements, monitor KPIs and report plan progress and outcomes to relevent stakeholders.
- Learn how to identify, plan for and manage risk and contingencies.
- Learn how to manage a budget, including monitoring and controlling costs and reporting on budget outcomes.
- Learn how to lead and manage continuous improvement systems and processes.
Underpinning Units of Competency
- BSBOPS502 – Manage business operational plans (core)
- BSBSTR502 – Facilitate continuous improvement (elective)
- BSBFIN501 – Manage budgets and financial plans (elective)
Each of the units in the workshops may include two or more of the following types of assessments:
- Short written answers to questions – question and answer style testing (can be completed online in your own time).
- Projects – group or individual, may be practical or research based.
- Assignments – research topic and provide a written response.
- Demonstration – you will be observed doing tasks.
- If required, other assessment methods may be used for students (eg verbal tests instead of short written tests).
- Testimonials from work placement supervisor.
- Photographic and other media evidence.
We will provide you with the information about the assessment at the commencement of the workshops.
You will be required to practice what you have learned in your workplace and to complete the practical assessments after the workshops. We recommend that you set aside at least an additional day per workshop in order to complete your assessments. Many assessments can be done over time and we encourage students to use the assessments as practical tools in their workplace in order to develop their competence. You should negotiate with your manager about the time you may need to complete assessments.
You will need access to the following in order to complete this qualification:
- An internet enabled computer with Word Processing capabilities (such as Microsoft Office). You can use free software such as Google Docs as well.
- Access to a team in your workplace who report to you
- Access to your organisation’s policies and procedures
At a Glance
A set of six workshop s (5+1), delivered and implemented in a highly impactful program to selected leaders. seperated by a 6 to 8 week period to minimise disruption and maximise impact. All workshops will be supported by a physical catch up session and a may include a virtual catchup session (using Zoom or Teams) to help individuals with assessments, facilitate and encourage networking and the sharing of ideas and experiences.
Cost to Employers:
$1080 over 12 months subject to Government Funding subsidy.
Cost to Participants:
- Team and senior leaders and managers currently responsible for a team and having input into policy development and or review.
- Upon completion of all 12 units of competence, you will be issued with a testamur for the BSB50420 Diploma of Leadership and Management.
YOUR ENROLMENT APPLICATION
This online form is your enrolment application. By completing this online form, you are REQUESTING enrolment into one of our courses. Enrolment is not guaranteed and may be subject to an interview or to other pre-requisites. GlobalNet Academy reserves the right, in our absolute discretion, to refuse entry to any of our courses on any grounds. Unless we believe that there are some very obvious reasons why you should not be part of the course, you will generally be successful UNLESS the course is over‐subscribed. If this is the case, we will choose the best applicants. If you are successful, your enrolment application will become the basis of your enrolment.
WHY WE ASK SO MANY QUESTIONS
We need to ask a number of different questions for our reporting obligations to State and National Regulatory bodies. We trust that the form will be straight forward and easy to complete. We appreciate your patience in completing it.
YOU WILL NEED A UNIQUE STUDENT IDENTIFIER (USI)
In order to complete this form, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier. A Unique Student Identifier (or USI) is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, even from different training organisations
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
Your can read more about what a Unique Student Identifer is here: https://www.usi.gov.au/about. If you do not have a USI, you will need to register online with the government to obtain one. The process is free, confidential and quick. You can create a USI here: https://www.usi.gov.au/students.
DO I HAVE TO ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS?
Many of the question fields are mandatory and you will be required to enter information into these fields. You can tell if a questions is mandatory if it has an asterix (*) next to it. We treat your information confidentially so any information that you provide to us will NEVER be divulged to third parties unless we have your permission to do so OR we are required by law to do so.
If you have a mobile phone number, we ask that you provide this as well. We often contact students by email AND by text message so having your mobile phone number allows us to contact you quickly and easily.
INFORMATION WE SHARE ABOUT YOUR ENROLMENT
We are required by law to share some of your enrolment information with state and federal governments for reporting purposes. You can read more about what we share and why here: https://globalnetacademy.edu.au/information-we-share-about-your-training/
HOW TO START THE ENROLMENT FORM
- Choose the Qualification Level of your course using the Qualification Level drop down field. In this instance, choose the Diploma of Leadership and Management.
- Wait for 3 to 4 seconds whilst the system retrieves the list of classes related to that qualification that you can enrol in.
- Choose the May 2022 Diploma of Leadership and Management course and the complete the rest of the enrolment fields.